Blog


Willow Pond inspiration...Camille Corot

Welcome!  In my previous blog, I announced my newest painting series called Willow Ponds, where I'm revisiting some favorite scenes of the pond located behind our house.  When I work on a new series, I always dive deep into study...looking for inspiration and making notes on how I want to proceed with the new paintings.  I usually "check out" art books from my own home library and at the top of the stack was this Corot book from the MET gallery.  

I got lost in the beautiful pages of Corot's artwork.  The muted, silvery, mossy green landscapes are dreamy and I knew right away I wanted to use this vibe for my Willow Pond series.  Below is a small painting that I've hung on to for a long time.  It provides constant inspiration when I'm looking for moody, muted inspiration.  When set next to Corot's paintings, it meshed beautifully and my vision for the Willow Pond series was created.  

I found this chapter, noted below, in the Corot book and it sent me down a rabbit hole.  It describes Corot as "the very poet of the landscape".  I couldn't agree more.  I already knew that my favorite Impressionist artist, Berthe Morisot, studied under him at a young age.  When critics began comparing her work to Corot, she burned most of her earliest work.  She wanted to stand on her own as an artist...but I can't help but think about how amazing art history is.  To imagine these artists working together over 150 years ago just blows my mind.  I would love to dream that my work would still be relevant long after I'm gone.  

My goal of starting up a blog is to keep a visual diary of my art happenings...and it just happens that some of you like to read my stories too, so thank you for following along with my ramblings.  I'll leave you with some inspiration photos  and quotes from the chapter of the Corot book.  

"There is only one master here..Corot.  We are nothing compared to him." -Claude Monet, 1897

"Corot drew and modeled every tree trunk with the same devotion and love as if it were a figure. "-Vincent Van Gogh

"He is still the strongest, he anticipated everything. "-Edgar Degas, 1883

Condensed from the Corot book-

Poetry became the catch all concept that explained his unsophisticated drawing, the indecisive forms and the vagueness of views.  Corot never copies nature, he dreams it, paints the exact sensation he has experienced.  The poetic feeling that the sight of nature arouses in him is so intense, that in order to transmit it better,  he falsifies and denatures the spectacle before him; and the object represented thus loses the very power that he wished to give it in order to communicate emotion.  To communicate emotion, however, was one of the tenants of Romantic landscape to which Corot was most faithful. This is not a landscape painter, this is the very poet of landscape...who breathes the sadness and joys of nature....the bond that makes us brothers of brooks and trees, he sees it.   His figures are as poetic as his forests.  Often named his paintings "souvenirs" . Silver light diffuses his paintings.  

"I never hurry to arrive at details, the masses and character of the picture interests me mosts."-Corot

It was values and shapes first, then color and detail for Corot.  Eventually he used less color perhaps a nod to studying photography in the 1860's -1870's which used more muted color of browns, grays and greens due to the technology available.  His suppression of color was quite conscious and considered.  Corot aspired to render the appearance of nature without adding anything.  He worked at getting down, with precision, the things seen and to ignored details, then adding secondary traits.  There was a shift in the 1870's to more light tonalities like Pissarro, Sisley and Monet.  Some say he was entering the modern era...but he never ventured into the colors and methods of Impression. Corot made his sentiments visible by rendering the "effect", the impression. He was the painter most intimately associated with this approach. His nymph and figures were inseparable from his landscapes.  

So...just a few thoughts and insights which align with my own thoughts.  The romantic landscapes...shapes and tones before color...getting out in nature to study.  So much more to study and learn. Stay tuned as my next blog post will dive into the palette colors that Corot used and my own limited color palette I'm thinking of for the Willow Pond series.  

Read More

Friday Favorites..Top 5 from Willow Pond

Friday Favorites...my top paintings from Willow Pond (and a new series announcement)

I've been back into my painting for almost ten years and I've been doing a lot of reflecting and looking back at older works of my art.  In September 2021, I did a 30 day Strada painting challenge where I painted from life every day.  I was kind of shocked to see that I had painted almost 20 of those days en plein air at a pond behind my house lovingly named Willow Pond.  It's been a source of beauty, peace and inspiration for many many years.  For the Strada challenges, I usually painted more indoors from still life setups. So to be reminded that I made it outside to paint for 20 almost straight days was pretty amazing.  Below you can see those plein air studies, all of Willow Pond. 

Some were painted in sketchbooks, but mostly on panels with oil. 

Willow Pond, at that time, was lush and surrounded with trees that provided the most beautiful scenes of tree reflections.  It looks a lot different now due to some menacing beaver and I'll share more on that in another post.  

I am very proud of all these little studies and learned so much about trees, reflections and water.  I'm so glad that I keep my plein air studies.  They're always a source of inspiration and learning. 

It was hard to select  but I chose my top  paintings from that month long challenge.  Below is a water reflection scene that had glowing sunlight and the trees seemed to just bubble and boil out of the water.  You couldn't tell which was more real...the reflection or the actual trees.  I did make some alternations to this back in the studio and was happy that I did.  

This little gem below is so special to me. I really came into my Tonalist love combined with Impressionism and this study just came together so easily.  Big shapes, subtle value and edge changes, details in the water and foreground grasses that I love to paint.  

This study was of the bushy Willows and had a fantastic, tonal underpainting that I left some showing through.  By leaving pure color, it makes a reflection shine against water that looks white(ish).  Some scratchy marks with my palette knife and trusty wood skewer finished it off.  

This study of the Willows was from a marshy area at the back of the pond and was a complete study of color and shapes.  A much more Impressionistic approach with more visible brushstrokes and more saturated color used than normal. This one was totally immersive and I can still remember painting it.  

Once I began looking back at all of my Willow Pond studies and social media posts, I decided that Willow Pond would be a great subject for my next series.  I'm almost finished up with my Creekside series so this inspiration hit at just the right time. I'll be sharing more soon on how Willow Pond looked now and then, my plans moving forward and artists that are inspiring me with this new series. So stay tuned and thank you for visiting my blog.  

Read More